SqlSpadeHelper - Unhandled exception Error trying to select source files.

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Edited Jul 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

I run SQLSpadeHelper, select a config file, data center, check, build the folders then click on edition line to bring up detail window.

The action is populate folder and no matter what I pick for either an iso file or a folder when I click 'ok' I get the generic error below and the program goes no further.

I am running this on a Win Server 2008 R2 and have tried on a Win XP workstation as well.  (running current downloaded version of SPADE.)

Any suggestions?

What exactly gets put into the install folder?  I suspect if I could do that part manually then I could just move on to running SqlSpade.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at SqlSpadeHelper.frmFolderBuilderDetail.btnOk_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.269 (RTMGDR.030319-2600)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SqlSpadeHelper
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///B:/install/SPADE/Tools/SqlSpadeHelper.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.278 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.282 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.269 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.233 built by: RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Coordinator
Jul 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Jul 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue.  With the information that you provided I was able to identify the bug and make the needed correction.

I will be including the updated code in the next release, but you can download it from the following link now - http://sqlspade.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/changes/1e9ba629d7dd.  When you use the download option on the page, it will download a zip file that contains all of the latest code.  Since there may be other changes since the last release, I recommend that you pull only the SqlSpadeHelper.exe from the zip file.

There is also a workaround for the version you have now, which is to select the action from the list, even if it appears to already be selected.

I apologize for the inconvenience and welcome any additional feedback that you have.

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Edited Jul 10, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

It encourages me to be a more active participant online and with open source projects since I tend to be a lurker.

I was also about to give up on sqlspade and just go back to a manual install.