Spade Helper Utility - Script Manager suggestions

Jul 10, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Just a few suggestions after using the Script Manager...

If I double-click on a script it opens in the detail window to the right but the name of the script being actively edited is not displayed anywhere that I can see.  Maybe put it in the window bar or keep it highlighted in the tree frame on the left?

The 'save' button does not visibly do anything after making changes to a script.  However, when you go to another script you are asked whether it should save your changes.  I haven't tested whether the button actually saves things or not but my usual expectation for this type of application would be that the 'save' button is grayed out until you make changes and then after clicking the button to save it goes gray again until further changes are made.  (I expect this type of fix has a relatively low ROI since it works ok the way it is but thought I'd throw it out there.)

Not sure how you'd do it but a way to edit a selected script's parameters that go in the Run-Install.config file would be helpful.  Maybe a button to push the parameters to the Run-Install.config file? Or a separate popup window that displays the xml entries that should be in the config file where you can copy them for pasting into the config file?

Allow the Run-Install.config to be edited in the script manager?

Coordinator
Jul 11, 2012 at 2:44 AM

I have addressed your suggestions by making the following changes:

1) I added a status bar to the bottom of the script window that shows the current script file

2) I fixed the Save button so that when you save the script it resets the save status and clears the save button

3) Added the Config file to the left hand navigation so that you can edit the Run-Install.config file - I would eventually like to add a cleaner editor so that you don't need to edit the XML by hand, but that will take a bit more time.

I also added a close button that appears when you open a script for editing.

Would you be willing to test these changes and provide any additional feedback?  The changeset can be downloaded from http://sqlspade.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/changes/4c5c7e112767.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:12 AM
Absolutely. I will probably have a chance to check on it this week.

Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:45 PM
To: Bartlett, Brendan
Subject: Re: Spade Helper Utility - Script Manager suggestions [sqlspade:362695]

I have addressed your suggestions by making the following changes:

1) I added a status bar to the bottom of the script window that shows the current script file

2) I fixed the Save button so that when you save the script it resets the save status and clears the save button

3) Added the Config file to the left hand navigation so that you can edit the Run-Install.config file - I would eventually like to add a cleaner editor so that you don't need to edit the XML by hand, but that will take a bit more time.

I also added a close button that appears when you open a script for editing.

Would you be willing to test these changes and provide any additional feedback? The changeset can be downloaded from http://sqlspade.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/changes/4c5c7e112767.

Confidentiality Notice: This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is strictly prohibited. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.

Jul 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I tested the changes you made to the script manager and the folder builder and they worked as advertised. 

The only suggestion I'd make is that maybe the status bar at the bottom in the script manager only display the file name not the full path.  I happened to be testing with a long convoluted path and was unable to read the actual file name because it extended past the window dimensions.

Then again, the path info is helpful so it's probably fine the way it is.

Coordinator
Jul 12, 2012 at 10:50 PM

You have a good point, adding the script name doesn't help if the full path doesn't fit.  Besides, the path is already on the top of the window anyways.

So I changed the code to only show the script name and moved the full path to a tooltip that appears if you mouse over the script name.

Have you been able to build the auto install folders yet?

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Edited Jul 17, 2012 at 5:11 PM

<withdrawn>

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Given this snippet of the run-install.config file what should the install folder for the 32 and 64 bit folders look like?

<DataCenters>
    <!-- This section contains the list of valid data centers and their respective Auto-Install source locations-->
    <DataCenter Name="Data Center 1" Location="Location 1" FilePath="B:\install\" />
  </DataCenters>
  <SqlVersions>
      <Version Name="SQL2008R2">
      <ConfigurationTemplate Name="Configuration_2008R2.ini" Category="SQLSERVER2008" />
      <ProductStrings>
        <ProductString Name="Default" Value="SQLENGINE,REPLICATION,FULLTEXT,CONN,BC,SSMS,ADV_SSMS,BOL" />
        <ProductString Name="DefaultPlusIS" Value="SQLENGINE,REPLICATION,FULLTEXT,BIDS,CONN,IS,BC,SSMS,ADV_SSMS" />
        <ProductString Name="Minimal" Value="SQLENGINE,CONN,BC,SSMS,ADV_SSMS" />
      </ProductStrings>
      <Editions>
        <Edition Name="Enterprise_32" Key="" FolderName="SQL2008R2\Enterprise\32" />
        <Edition Name="Enterprise_64" Key="" FolderName="SQL2008R2\Enterprise\64" />

Below is a rough approximation of the install CD file structure. 

When I run the SpadeHelper/spade folder builder It puts the contents of the appropriate x64 or x86 folders under "SQL2008R2\Enterprise\64"  or "SQL2008R2\Enterprise\32" but when I try to run the install script it's looking in that 32/64 folder for the setup.exe from the root of the CD.  I tried changing the name to setup100.exe but it wouldn't run properly because it was looking for something done by the root setup.exe. 

Do the 32/64 bit folders need to have everything at the root of the CD but with certain subfolders excluded?  i.e. for the 64bit install essentially have the entire cd minus the x86 folder?

Why even have seperate media locations for the installs, why not just a copy of the entire install?

CD_Root
         1033_ENU_LP
         ia64
         MasterDataServices
         redist
         resources
         StreamInsight
         autorun.inf
         MediaInfo.xml
         Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest
         msvcr80.dll
         setup.exe
         setup.exe.config
         sqmapi.dll
         x64
             setup100.exe
             <various x64 specific files and folders>
         x86
             setup100.exe
             <various x86 specific files and folders>

Coordinator
Jul 24, 2012 at 4:04 PM

There is no need to define an x86 or x64 path for 2008 and above becuase all of the architectures are on the same media.  The setup.exe runs from the root of the media and based on the architecture of the system it choses the correct set of binaries.

The only reason that I have them separate for 2005 is becuase the x86 and x64 installs were on different sets of discs and therefore needed to be placed in separate folders for SPADE. 

That being said, your nodes for 2008, 2008R2, and 2012 should look similar to this...

<SqlVersions>
<Version Name="SQL2008R2">
<ConfigurationTemplate Name="Configuration_2008R2.ini" Category="SQLSERVER2008" />
<ProductStrings>
<ProductString Name="Default" Value="SQLENGINE,REPLICATION,FULLTEXT,CONN,BC,SSMS,ADV_SSMS,BOL" />
<ProductString Name="DefaultPlusIS" Value="SQLENGINE,REPLICATION,FULLTEXT,BIDS,CONN,IS,BC,SSMS,ADV_SSMS" />
<ProductString Name="Minimal" Value="SQLENGINE,CONN,BC,SSMS,ADV_SSMS" />
</ProductStrings>
<Editions>
<Edition Name="Enterprise" Key="" FolderName="SQL2008R2\Enterprise" />
<Edition Name="Standard" Key="" FolderName="SQL2008R2\Standard" />

I hope this answers your question and I apologize for any confusion.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Thanks, that clears it up.  

No apologies necessary.  It's very difficult to see what will confuse others and if you try to explain every little thing your "simple" explanation will end up being the length of a book.