VHD Image file

Jun 28, 2014 at 1:35 PM
The SPADE process is great, but it takes more than 20 minutes. Did any one work with VHD that they are using in Azure? I am trying to implement in with onpremise. The main benefit comes by avoiding the software install.
Jun 28, 2014 at 2:10 PM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn133153.aspx
I was referring this whether to make use it on premise.
Coordinator
Aug 7, 2014 at 10:08 PM
I'm not a fan of image based SQL Servers because you lose flexibility. Most organizations have standards, but very rarely are they rigid enough to be able to clone a new fully installed SQL Server. If your environment allows you to create a base image with SQL Server already installed, that's great.

My preferred process is to have a base image for the OS and as many of the 3rd party apps as possible, and then install SQL using an automation tool like SPADE.

Please note that there are a number of factors that will impact the speed at which SPADE completes, including the following:
  • The speed of the network (during file copy operations)
  • The location of the SPADE files (are they on fast storage and are they local to the data center)
  • The speed of the storage on the target server
  • The version/edition of SQL Server being installed
  • The SQL Server features being installed
  • The features/prerequisites required by SQL Server
When you review the log, do you see large amount of time being spent doing file copies? Are you installing features that you may not need, like SSIS? Can you speed up the process by enabling the .Net Framework on the server prior to the SQL install?

Please understand that SPADE was never intended to instantly generate a new instance, it was designed to replace a manual process that was taking hours of a DBA's time.

Thanks,
Michael
Marked as answer by JasonCarter80 on 8/23/2016 at 5:00 PM